PSL and the Lycée Henri IV have implemented an undergraduate programme from 2012/2013. Intellectually demanding and the only one of its kind in France, the course ranks alongside the programmes of the world's most prestigious universities.
The collaboration of the Lycée Henri IV and PSL's first-rate member institutions means that undergraduate students can benefit from the best aspects of higher education in France.
The course combines:
- a high teacher/student ratio and close supervision typical of French preparatory classes;
- an emphasis on independent learning and the introduction to the world of research to be found at the best universities.
The multidisciplinary programme allows students to increase their specialization during the three years of their training cycle, within one of three academic fields (humanities, social sciences or science). It emphasizes the use of new technologies and the importance of project work.
The undergraduate programme has been founded on the educational know-how and experience of its prestigious founders, the institutions that make up PSL and the Lycée Henri IV.
The admissions procedure actively seeks to encourage candidates from a variety of backgrounds and academic profiles, as well as to promote social diversity.
ART AND CULTURE
Alongside practical art courses and teaching in the history of art, the undergraduate programme aims to give all students access to as broad a culture as possible.
This undergraduate programme, which aims to bring together the best that universities and preparatory classes (CPGE) have to offer, is not designed to replace preparatory classes. It is not intended as a preparation for the competitive entrance examinations of the grandes écoles. However, there is nothing to prevent those students who wish to sit these examinations from doing so. The teams in charge of the programme have taken extra care not to call on professors attached to PSL's grandes écoles (notably the ENS) in order to avoid any interference in the nationwide system of preparation for the grandes écoles competitive examinations.
An innovative education programme:
• An experienced and tight-knit body of professors stemming from preparatory classes, universities and grandes écoles.
• A variety of training formats (classes with reduced numbers, practical work, conferences [insérer un lien vers une page « Les conférences de recherche de l'année 2012-2013 »], seminars, group work, supervisions, tutorials, personalized follow-up of students).
• An insistence on excellence in written and oral expression in French and English and in computer skills for all students.
• Close personalized follow-up and career advice offered by a docent doctoral student working together for each student to ensure their success.
• An emphasis on each year group as a central structure meaning arts and science students spend time together and work alongside each other.
• An introduction to the world of research, from the first year.
• Time set aside for the history of art and practical arts classes.
A first-rate education:
• A genuinely multidisciplinary approach throughout the programme that allows for a progressive specialization. At the end of three years of study, students will have reached an excellent standard and been awarded a degree by a PSL member institution in one or two disciplines.
• A highly demanding programme that entails a heavy workload, both in terms of contact hours and personal study, in a variety of disciplines using a number of educational methods.
• The institutions of PSL and the Lycée Henri IV, renowned for their academic excellence and their demanding admissions procedures, have come together to share the best of their educational know-how.
• Special emphasis is put on the teaching of modern foreign languages. Students are to follow an intensive language course with the British Council (leading to a certificate in line with European standards) in their first year, and English language lessons will be progressively introduced in the second and third years of study.
• After the three-year programme, students will have access to courses offering the best career prospects in research, higher education and the public and private sectors.
An education that promotes openness and diversity:
• Equal access: half of the students enrolling in the programme each year receive financial support from the state.
• Diversity of backgrounds and academic profiles: an adaptable programme that offers a number of options and which brings together students from different disciplines both in required and in optional courses.
• Accommodation for grant-holder students is offered by PSL throughout their education where possible.
An education in which art and culture play a key role:
Alongside the teaching of "traditional" subjects, PSL aims to offer each student the chance of enjoying access to as broad a culture as possible through the required course "cultural and artistic practices" in the first and second years.
The class organizes:
• Trips to the theatre, opera, concerts etc.
• Visits to museums and exhibitions
• Visits to research and business workshops.
The programme is funded by PSL and Henri IV, with the support of PSL partners. The main partnerships are with the Paris Opera, the Comédie Française theatre, the Louvre Museum and the Pompidou Center.
Programme of Courses
- The first year of study, which is principally carried out on the campus of the Lycée Henri IV, is resolutely multidisciplinary. Students can increasingly specialize over three years.
- The education over the three years is organized into semesters. A number of Teaching Units (UE) are available each semester, depending on the programme being followed. Apart from a number of required courses, the programme is adaptable.
- At the end of the second year, students choose a major and a minor, or in some cases two majors. During the third year, students can complement the required courses by following courses in several different PSL institutions, subject to the approval of the academic staff.
For more information, please contact Elvedina CAPPELLE, assistante pédagogique at email@example.com
Or find out here more information (in French) Le CPES dans le Monde des étudiants
Also watch (in French):
Download the CPES programme booklet (in French)